Lifts Solution Service from Manitowoc
Manitowoc has unveiled a new service, “Lift Solutions,” that quotes, engineers, and produces cranes or attachments for unique applications that require lattice boom crawler cranes. Representatives from Manitowoc’s engineering, purchasing, operations, and sales comprise the dedicated team to help customers overcome challenging lifts or job scenarios.
Allen Kadow will manage the new Lift Solutions team. Kadow said the Lift Solutions service can provide customized technical support to assist customers through challenging lifts or projects.
For example, offshore oil and gas structures producer Heerema Group is organized into two divisions. Heerema Marine Corporation excels in transporting, installing and removing offshore facilities, and Heerema Fabrication Group specializes in the engineering and fabrication of complex offshore structures. When the Luxembourg-based company needed to replace its 10-year old Manitowoc 2250 crawler crane, it came to Manitowoc for a new customized crawler to sit on one of its vessels that supports two large pedestal cranes.
As part of the delivery of the replacement Manitowoc 2250, the Lift Solutions team performed a variety of customizations for Heerema, including:
- Elevating the 52 in. wide operator’s cab to an eye level of 18 ft.;
- Establishing an auxiliary electronic control system to serve as backup for crane and computer controls;
- Installing an auxiliary hydraulic system to control the main hoist, whip hoist, swing and personnel handling winch in case of engine failure;
- Creating a lifting arrangement and slings designed to lift a complete crane with 210 ft of boom and 80 ft. of fixed jib; and
- Installing a detachable upper boom point with a second sheeve and personnel handling winch.
The company said the special features on the new 2250 made it quick, easy, and cost-effective to create equipment for installing oil and gas structures.
Lift Solutions services include:
- Customization of existing product
- New application
- Custom load charts
- Special lift planning procedures
- Accident investigation support
- Special approval letters for special lifts, customer supplied attachments, travel and operation in above average wind conditions